Re: Proposal for date changes for Cayman Carnival Batabano and Braccanal
We would like to propose a date change for both of our Carnivals here in the Cayman Islands to enhance our entertainment tourism product for both Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac. This is an opportunity for both festivals to grow in numbers and exposure, and, more importantly, for the Cayman Islands tourism product to prosper through these two events during a relatively slow period in our tourism calendar. This is not a matter of Cayman Brac having to accommodate Grand Cayman for Grand Cayman wants and wishes, but an opportunity for both islands to increase numbers of both international and local tourism for the Cayman Islands.
Below are some of the Pros and Cons of the date changes:
- First and foremost, we will be creating a new revenue stream weekend for the Brac. A weekend where there is no competition or split of tourism dollars for the Brac. Currently, the Brac’s largest international fishing tournament falls on the same weekend as Braccanal. This means both events have to share the room stock, air seats, car rentals, and everything else on the Brac. By moving Braccanal to the long weekend in June, the Brac now has TWO back-to-back holiday weekends to benefit from a tourism standpoint.
- By allowing Grand Cayman to host Cayman Carnival Batabano on the holiday weekend in May, we now have viable Carnival product to promote overseas as a major Carnival experience by extending the days of events for overseas participation by 2 days. Currently, Batabano is officially over at 12 Midnight on Batabano Saturday.
- By moving Braccanal to the next month, it now gives potential local tourism travellers an opportunity to have a payday between the two festivals. This equates to more disposable income and more opportunity for packages to be purchase for the Brac to fill the 290 available rooms in the Brac.
- The Bands would encourage their participants to be mindful of the wear and tear of their costumes in order to reuse them at Braccanal, to give the spectators a true feel of Carnival costumes in numbers, which is what Carnivals around the Caribbean is all about… costumes!
- Braccanal has become more organised over the past few years, and should be looking at the overall impact it has the potential of having on the economy of the Brac. By the large make-up of participants in Carnival in Grand Cayman being non-Caymanians, this has huge potential in showcasing the Brac and what it has to offer, and could create return trips non-related to Braccanal.
- The residents of the Brac and the Committee of Braccanal would have to adapt to change.
- Braccanal Committee would have to republish their dates for Braccanal, eight months from the proposed new date on social media and SITA magazine.
- Braccanal can potentially have the most people every on the Brac for one weekend event. Can the Brac host that many people??
- There are no real cons if the Committee allows the growth of not just Braccanal but Cayman Carnival Batabano as well, the whole country benefits.
We are not here for the sole benefit of Carnival on Grand Cayman and looking at how we can maximise the potential, we are genuinely looking at the impact this can make on a very viable tourism product for both Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac. The opportunity this has to making a difference in the Brac economy by creating another tourism-related weekend, alone should be a point that seals the deal.
We are hoping that people can see our vision of where we want to impact THE CAYMAN ISLANDS in a positive way through our niche tourism market of Carnival tourism, whether it’s the international tourism for Grand Cayman or the “Local Tourism” for the Brac.
We would like to see both Carnivals continue to grow and the date change is the first important change that has to be made.