Many folks struggle to sleep well because their bodies tend to heat up at night and their current mattresses aren’t doing them any good. Our suggestion is a cooling mattress topper. In this review, we’ve selected the top 15 best cooling mattress toppers which are not only best-selling but are also super affordable. Come join us!
When it’s summertime, many people just can’t sleep as well because it’s too hot and they wake up sweaty every morning. But everyone knows electric bills are expensive. What is the cheaper solution then? Our recommendation is a cooling mattress topper which lasts for years and is much cheaper than setting your air-con on low for days.
In this post, we’ll briefly explain what a cooling mattress topper is for those who might not be very familiar with this product. We’ll show you a few things you should look for when considering buying one. And then, we’ll get to the list of our top 15 picks for 2019. Sounds cool? Now, let’s get started!
What is A Cooling Mattress Topper?
A cooling mattress topper is a temperature-regulating layer that you can place directly on your current mattress. It helps you maintain a moderate body temperature throughout the night. This, consequently, will give you more quality night sleeps and less sweating problems.
Most cooling mattress toppers nowadays are constructed with billions of open-air cells which help flush the heat out and keep you cool. Some use gel infused memory foam while others more advanced have built-in mini fans to blow cool air in. This is sort of like a mini air-con built in the topper. Other manufacturers incorporate advanced liquid cooling like those used in computer cooling system to deliver the best-in-class cooling effect.
What to Look for When Buying a Cooling Mattress Topper?
Different materials have different properties when it comes to cooling. Denser memory foam, for example, tends to trap more heat. But many customers love their conforming properties. Which is why, manufacturers infuse gel with the foam, making it more breathable and giving you a better cooling experience.
Check out below for the detailed properties of the 6 most common mattress toppers materials. You’ll also see about each one’s firmness and comfort level, which are also something you should look for when buying the toppers.
Top 15 Best Cooling Mattress Toppers in 2019
Let’s now see each topper in more details:
1. Red Nomad
Red Nomad is dedicated to giving you sweet dreams. Their cooling toppers are CertiPUR-US certified with unbeatable craftsmanship. The smart CoolFlow technology helps keep cool air in and let heat out, giving customers refreshing night rests.
- Over 700+ trusted reviews
- Excellent customer support
- True support for all sleeper types
- High-quality gel infused visco elastic memory foam
- Proudly made in the USA
- Reasonable pricing from $60
- Super lightweight (8+ lbs)
- Not many sizes to choose from
- Some customers find the size too small and too short
- Some noticeable unpleasant smell
2. SleepBetter Iso-Cool
SleepBetter Iso-Cool mattress topper has received hundreds of 5-star reviews for the effectiveness and quality it provides. The white topper looks clean and elegant. This would be a great addition to any mattresses and a great choice for folks who like to sleep cool.
- More than 500+ verified purchase reviews
- Outlast Adaptive comfort technology
- Just right: not too hot not too cold
- Beautiful mattress topper
- 300 thread count with 100% cotton
- 3” of comfortable cushioning
- The cover is removable and washable
- Non-standard Queen size: 58 x 77 x 3
- Very heavy: 30 lbs
- Quite expensive: $200+ for tighter budgets
3. Advanced Sleep Solutions
Advanced Sleep Solutions has some of the best-selling cooling mattress toppers on the market. This premium gel infused memory foam is sure to win hearts. Their products are all made in the USA with over 1,000+ trusted reviews by happy customers.
- Incredible value for price
- Great pressure relief, especially for side sleepers
- Excellent customer service
- Affordable price: around $99
- Not overly heavy: 14 lbs
- Amazing temperature regulation
- Good overall body support
- Made from certified foam materials
- Some customers find it a bit too firm
- For some folks, it seems to take quite a long time to cool the sleeper’s temperature: 20 mins
4. Leisure Town Overfilled
Leisure Town is another market leader in the cooling mattress toppers category. They’ve received over 1,500 reviews with an average customer satisfaction rate at 4.3 out of 5. The price is super affordable. This is a great option for the whole family.
- Packaged in a neat vacuum bag
- Highly supportive for your body
- Water resistant to some degree
- Unbeatable price from $69.90
- Many sizes to choose from
- Lightweight: 8 lbs
- Great for pregnant women
- Soft and comfortable
- Great-looking mattress made from durable materials
- Not completely waterproof
- Some folks may find this not overfilled or plush enough for their liking
5. ExceptionalSheets Bamboo Extra Plush
This is one of the most popular mattress toppers out there with over 5,000 reviews and a 4.3 out of 5 average rating. Many love this topper because of its unique bamboo-derived rayon which gives ultimate comfort and temperature control.
- Silky bamboo rayon
- Exceptional quality for price
- Friendly and helpful customer support
- Many size options, even Olympic Queen and California King
- Filled with hypoallergenic down alternative
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Smooth to touch and feels amazingly cozy
- Veteran owned and proudly made in the USA
- Good pricing for this quality
- The inner filling may fall apart when washed with heavy duty mode
- Still, may not be plush enough for some
6. Avocado Green
Avocado Green mattress topper is a great option if you’re really into eco-friendly products and genuinely care about the environment. The quality of its materials is top-notch. The topper is handmade in Los Angeles and is vegan certified with GOTS organic certified cotton. They support fair trade and care about the farmers who grow the cotton to give you this superb-quality topper.
- Super generous 1-year trial
- Free carbon-neutral shipping
- 0% APR financing available
- Not heavy at all: 5 lbs
- Made from 400-thread-count organic and non-toxic cotton
- Safe for folks with asthma and allergies
- Super friendly customer service
- Beautiful and green packaging
- May be slightly thin for some
- Customers who prefer the foamy feel may find it less enjoyable
7. Sleep Innovations
Sleep Innovations is among one of the go-to choices in this category. This 4-inch dual memory foam topper is even backed by 10 years of warranty. Their toppers are guaranteed to deliver personalized cooling and comfort
- Over 2,000 customer reviews
- Made in the USA
- Made from safe and durable materials
- Nice and neat design
- Great pressure relief and support
- Like sleeping on a cloud
- Conforms to US standard mattress sizes
- Quite heavy: 23 lbs
- The topper may flatten out over time
8. Sleep On Latex Pure Green 100%
This topper is going to be a favorite for latex lovers. It’s made from all-natural 100% latex with no fillers. The topper offers incredible pinpointed support and great high-pressure points relief for folks with hip, back, or neck pain. Best of all, latex stays cool all night.
- Breathable and organic latex
- Incredible durability
- GreenGuard Gold certified
- Smart design with evenly spaced air cells
- 3 thickness options to choose from: 1”, 2”, and 3”
- 4 out of 5 average customer satisfaction rating
- Reasonable price
- Quite a heavyweight: 20 lbs
- Some customers may find the latex smell unbearable
9. Night Guard Overfilled Ultra Soft
Night Guard topper has a lot of value to offer. It fits nicely with your mattress and doesn’t change the overall mattress feel. It’s incredibly soft and comfy. The topper also has anti-bacterial properties.
- Noiseless topper that is great for side sleepers who switch sides frequently
- Clinically proven hypoallergenic
- Backed by 10 years of warranty
- Made from high-quality terry cotton
- Fits many mattress sizes
- The material is breathable
- Bug protection
- Amazingly low price
- May be overly soft for some who like it firmer
- Some find it too small
10. Nature’s Sleep Thick AirCool IQ
Patented AirCool IQ gel memory foam that performs and outperforms memory foam. The cover on this topper is made from 100% long-lasting polyester fiber. Also, it’s made with visco=elastic technology with more open-air cells to allow more air flow and heat dissipation.
- Smart design with scientific technology
- Greatly minimizes pressure points
- Sleeps cool and rejuvenating
- Premium gel memory foam certified by CertiPUR-US
- Plenty of sizes available
- Comes with a microfiber cover
- Responsive customer support
- Heavier folks may find themselves sink in too much on this topper
- Some may find the topper too plush
11. ViscoSoft Amazing Cloud-Like Support
ViscoSoft topper provides amazing cloud-like support for side, back, and stomach sleepers. Their topper will help you sleep cool and comfortable all night. Waking up has never been more refreshing. What’s more, they use ozone-safe materials.
- 60-day money back guarantee
- Certified gel memory foam without toxic chemicals like mercury, lead, etc.
- 3 years of warranty
- Amazing overall body support
- Lightweight: 11 lbs
- American-made quality
- Advanced cooling gel
- Safe and non-toxic materials
- Great pricing from $69.99
- Crease may occur over time
- For some folks, it may not provide enough air out
12. ExceptionalSheets Plush Marriott Hotels
This is another great cooling mattress topper option offered by Exceptional Sheets. In fact, they claim that this is the exact kind of topper used in luxurious 5-star Marriott hotels. The topper is made in the USA with lab-tested and certified quality. They also offer 100% money back guarantee for this product.
- Exceptional value for price
- Safe and certified materials
- Over 1 million toppers sold
- Hypoallergenic materials
- Premium polyester fiber that feels like authentic duck and goose down
- Elegant 5-star hotel style
- Superb customer service
- Amazingly lightweight: 9 lbs
- Great price: $89.99
- May be shredded when washed
- Not enough cushioning for some customers
13. Sleep Innovations 2” Memory Foam
Another great product by Sleep Innovations is this premium 2-inch memory foam topper. It has received over 1,000 reviews. The price is also pretty hard to beat for something this well-made. Sleep Innovations is truly committed to making toppers that help you sleep cool and relaxing.
- High-quality memory foam
- Even protects your current mattress
- 5-year limited warranty
- Super comfortable to sleep on
- Keeps you cool throughout the night
- Affordable price from $80
- Fits perfectly with standard US mattress sizes
- Many sizes for your selection
- Slightly heavy: 17 lbs
- May take away a bit springy feel to your overall mattress
14. Qbedding Rattan Cooling Topper
This is an excellent cooling topper for the hot summer days. It’s made by Qbedding with 100% polyester and breathable wood pulp and fiber. There’s even 4 elastic straps to help the topper stay secure all night long as you flip and turn. Which is a very unique feature.
- 2 FREE pillow shams with every topper
- Perfect blend of polyester fiber with Rattan stands
- Incredibly lightweight: 6 lbs
- Various color and style options: bamboo, ancient, glacial, etc.
- Very easy to move around
- Fits standard US mattresses
- Great price from $66
- Very cooling
- Not machine washable. You can wipe it with warm water
- Some folks may find this Asian-style topper too hard and uncomfortable to sleep on
15. ISOLUS ventilated topper
So, we’ve come to the last item on our list: this ISOLUS ventilated topper. It’s made from certified gel memory foam backed by 3 years of warranty. The soft rayon derived from bamboo keeps your body temperature well-regulated throughout the night. It also has a cover for extra protection.
- Ultra-soft and ventilated materials
- CertiPUR-US certified safety
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- 3x cooling combination with open-cell construction
- ISOLUS formula to give you maximum support and pain relief
- Super soft rayon cover that’s hypoallergenic and mildew proof
- Reliable customer service
- Quite expensive: $299.99
- May be slightly mushy for some customers
As you’ve seen, choosing the best cooling mattress topper that satisfy your needs is not that difficult. Material is definitely something you should consider when buying a mattress topper. This is because different materials will give you different cooling effects, coupled with the level of firmness and comfort. So, what are some of your sure “yes” and “nah, thanks” looking through our top 15 list above? In one way or another, we hope that it has been of help. Have cool night sleeps, even on incredibly hot summer days!